The Student News Site of Park High School - MT

The Geyser

The Geyser

The Geyser

Faye McNew

Courtesy photo
    Faye McNew’s photo from her campaign website

The interview with Faye McNew was conducted in person, and what follows is the transcript of that recorded interview.

Tell us about yourself and your background. 

I am a dedicated advocate for our children’s future and a committed member of our community.

With a passion for education and a belief in the power of strong, supportive schools, I am running for the school board to ensure that every child in our district receives the quality education they deserve.

With two kids attending our schools, I understand firsthand the importance of providing a nurturing and enriching learning environment for all students.

For over a decade, I have been actively involved in volunteering with youth programs in our community. Whether serving as a Girl Scout troop leader, coaching baseball and soccer teams, substitute teaching, or supporting the drama club, I have a deep commitment to the well-being and development of our children.

My passion for education, dedication to empowering teachers, willingness to listen to families, and extensive experience working with youth, has made me ready to serve our community on the school board and work towards building a brighter future for all of our children.

What inspired you to run for the school board position? 

I was inspired to run for the school board position because of my passion for education and my desire to make a positive impact on the lives of students in our community. As a parent and community member, I’ve seen the importance of a strong education system firsthand, and I believe that serving on the school board is a meaningful way to contribute to our schools. 

I’m committed to advocating for the needs of students, teachers, and families, and I’m excited about the opportunity to work collaboratively with other board members to ensure that all students have access to a high-quality education that prepares them for success in the future.

What are you hoping to accomplish if you are elected? 

If elected to the school board, my primary goal is to champion policies and initiatives that prioritize student well-being and academic success. I aim to enhance the quality of education by advocating for equitable access to resources, fostering a safe and inclusive learning environment, and promoting innovative teaching methods. Additionally, I’m committed to fostering transparent communication between the board, educators, parents, and the community to ensure all voices are heard and valued in the decision-making process. Together, we can work towards a brighter future for all students.

How are you going to accomplish these goals? 

I plan to accomplish these goals through collaborative efforts with fellow board members, educators, parents, and community stakeholders. By conducting thorough research, listening to diverse perspectives, and engaging in constructive dialogue, we can develop effective policies and initiatives that address the needs of our students. Additionally, I will work to establish partnerships with local organizations and seek out funding opportunities to support our educational objectives. Through ongoing communication, transparency, and a commitment to continuous improvement, we can create a school system that truly serves the best interests of all students.

What do you think is the biggest challenge we face in our schools today? 

There are many challenges in our school district. The three main issues that I see as a parent are budget cuts, trust in our administration and board, and student wellbeing. Declining enrollment and decreased funding are serious issues in our school district. School budgets are frequently tied to student population numbers. This creates financial strain, forcing schools to make tough decisions about resource allocation, staffing, and program offerings. Balancing budget constraints while maintaining quality education and support services for students are a significant challenge. The school board can explore innovative approaches to address budgetary challenges, such as seeking alternative funding sources, partnering with community organizations, and implementing cost-saving measures without compromising educational quality.

Trust is fundamental to the success of any educational institution. When trust in the school district erodes, it can undermine community support, hinder collaboration, and impede efforts to address other challenges effectively. Rebuilding trust requires transparency, communication, and a commitment to addressing concerns and fostering positive relationships with stakeholders.

The mental health and well-being of students have become increasingly pressing issues in education. Academic pressure, social media, family dynamics, and other stressors contribute to rising levels of anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues among students. Schools play a crucial role in supporting students; mental health through counseling services, wellness programs, and creating a supportive and nurturing school environment. Prioritizing mental health resources within schools, including counselors and mental health professionals, is crucial for supporting students; well-being and academic success.

What do you think is the role of a school board member?

The role of a school board member is to collaborate with stakeholders, set strategic goals, and advocate for policies and practices that promote student success, educational equity, and the overall well-being of the school community. By working together with the superintendent, administration, teachers, students, and community members, board members can create a shared vision for excellence and ensure that all students have access to a high-quality education.

Who is an educator who impacted your life?

My high school calculus teacher Mrs. Defenback was a positive influence in my life. As students we always knew that she cared about us and was there to help and listen to us.