Several clubs head to state competitions this spring

Kenna Benzel

Like Academic Olympiad, the Business Professionals of America, otherwise known as BPA, headed for state and other competitions over spring break. BPA brought seven students to Billings to compete March 10-12 to qualify for Nationals in Chicago.
Despite the team’s small size this year, and the fact that half of the team was gone during spring break, advisor Reid Lende has confidence in these seven students. Quite a few Park teams have scored high throughout the season, and Lende expressed his excitement as the seven prepared for their many events. And the BPA kids did not disappoint, with 8 students qualifying for Nationals in four events. Ben Vermillion and Alex Freund placed first in Computer Animation Team, and Anna Lende took first in both Digital Media Production and Advanced Desktop Publishing. The Video Production Team, consisting of Aidan Higgins, Silas Hjortsberg, Fiona Alverson, Veronica Glenn, and Charlie Vermillion took the second place title.
Although their trip isn’t over spring break, FFA is state-bound as well. For various reasons, these students have seen lots of advisors come and go in just a few years, but that doesn’t stop them from working hard. The team heads for state in Billings April 2, and sophomore Annie Keyes predicts the team will do quite well.
Although FFA’s leadership has undergone transitions, parents and alumni are able and willing to help out and support Park High FFA. Keyes explains that even though it’s tough, they are able to look on the bright side and see that it brings them closer together.
Academic Olympiad prepared to strike the buzzer lightning fast to answer the questions before the other team has a chance to think. These quick brains headed to Bozeman March 13 to compete at the MSU campus. The two teams expected to do well, seeing as they got third in state last year, but that depends entirely on their opponent.
Even though the meet took place during spring break, and their numbers were down, the students were prepared to fight. And fight they did, the two teams got fourth and fifth at the meet, despite missing 25 percent of the teams. It was a close match, but they ended up losing by one point to the team that took first place. Advisor Danny McGrath explains it all depends on the way the questions roll out. The Rangers will head to Frenchtown for divisionals, and the University of Montana for state in April.
The Technology Student Association, aka TSA, prepares for state April 8 and 9 in Bozeman. Advisor Hunter James emphasizes preparation and how much the TSA students have been getting ready for state.
James says this group of students are motivated and excited to work on their projects. TSA has many categories, so students have a lot of options, and James is confident that all eight or nine Park kids going to state will do really well.