Alkire turns to nature to find poetry subjects

Aiden Alkire, senior at Park High school, says that he enjoys his poetry class. Alkire says that he enjoys the atmosphere in the class and he also likes that there isn’t much homework.
    “ The main focus of the class is poems, poetry, and the art of poetry,” said Alkire. One of the reasons he took poetry class was because he likes making poems. Although he doesn’t find himself reading poems for fun, Alkire does like to dig deep into his poetry assignments.
    When interviewing Alkire, we came to the conclusion that most of the poems he writes have a theme. He really enjoys the outdoors and likes to incorporate real life scenarios that have happened to him in his poems.
    The first poem on Alkire’s sheet was about him finding a cabin in the woods. Alkire told me that this actually happened to him. With this being something that happened in real life, Alkire said this made it much easier for him to write his poem. The theme of the poem was about a lonely cabin that soon started to wither. Alkire was in the Crazies when he came along this cabin. Taking his finding of the lonely cabin,Alkire decided to write a poem about the cabin.
    Recently, Alkire has gotten a head start on working on his final. Alkire isn’t too thrilled with what they are required to do though. First they take ten poems that they have written and they have to revise five of them five times. This technique is to help the student catch their mistakes and fix words in their poem that may be odd or don’t quite fit the poem as well. Another part of their final is to write 3 essays that have a word count of 500 for the poetry portfolio. The last thing that they have to do is speak out one of their poems. Akire isn’t too thrilled to speak out.