From avocados to the Bible, student shares insights through poetry

“Skin so bright and mush covered with a thick odorless appearance.” This line from “Ode to Avocados,” written by Gracie Peterson, is one of her best pieces that she has written. The young poet said these poems give insight into her life and the connections that come with them.
    One particular poem that stood out to her was the one she wrote about the painting “Dust Massacre” because it shows scenes from The Bible after Jesus was born. There was a big rush to kill all two-year-old boys and no one thought anyone could be as good as Jesus.
    “Ode to Avocados” takes us to a place with a deeper meaning describing the blandness of an avocado’s taste. This relates to people who lack vibrancy in life. It explores how the taste of an avocado begins to fade but still lingers. Peterson said the avocado poem was one of her best works and Mr. Dick pulled her aside and acknowledged how good it was.
    “The Color Sage” was a poem she wrote and had to relate it to movies or people. “I related it to my mom because she used to burn sage around the house and we moved into a new house and that’s what she did,” she said. She also mentions the use of fried green tomatoes and how they resemble the color sage. The relation did not stop there when she related it to the artist Miniski because if that artist was a color she would be sage.
    As the interview concluded she ended her last poem with this quote, “For the green taste leaves my buds and the essence of someone’s trace is finally erased.” This reflects the poem’s literary concepts and poetic brilliance.