The Student News Site of Park High School - MT

The Geyser

The Geyser

The Geyser

Park High Boy’s golf team takes 4th at state

Senior+Houston+Dunn+reads+a+putt+at+the+first+golf+tournament+of+the+season+in+Butte.++
Jamie Brink
Senior Houston Dunn reads a putt at the first golf tournament of the season in Butte.

Recently, Park High boys’ golf team placed 4th this year at state, with a total score of 641. It was held in Sidney, Montana on September 29-30. According to Houston Dunn, “State was a little disappointing this year.”  He said that they were very close to making it to the top three. In the first round, the boys had a total of 322 strokes. In the 2nd round they tied with the Corvallis boys team with a total of 319 strokes, but they fell short of third by only six strokes. Aubrey Kelly, the defending Class A Golf Champion, placed third in the boys individual division, making All-state. Houston Dunn placed 10th also making All-state. Even though state was a little disappointing, Dunn mentions that he was still happy to see his team improving. 

Although the girl’s team did not place, some of them made All- State. Camille Poncin (Junior) placed 8th and Anna Lende (sophomore) placed 14th. Poncin says, “Our team would not have been that close to qualifying for divisionals at the beginning of the season.” Poncin was proud of her own accomplishments this year. Over the season, she watched her team grow and work harder to get where they are. It was quite a shame to see the team fall short at divisionals, she said.

As the 2023 golf season came to an end, the top 10 players from A and AA category got to play at Stock Farm on October 4. Stock Farm is an exclusive country club in Hamilton, Montana. Aubrey Kelly, Houston Dunn and Camille Poncin got to compete in the match. ” I was happy to play at Stock Farm because I got to see my buddies from category AA,” Dunn said. 

Senior golfers Dunn and Chance Marshall will be recognized at Senior Night before the varsity volleyball game at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, September 17.