Storm the detection canine impresses student body at recent assembly

Aidan Higgins
Canine detector Storm lobbies her handler for a reward during the schoolwide assembly September 13.

Beth Kendall of Interquest Detection Canines of Montana and her dog Storm demonstrated the black lab’s drug and alcohol finding skills at an all-school assembly on Wednesday, September 13.  Not only did Storm accurately locate the substances her handler hid in students’ shoes, but she also drew smiles and laughs with her playful antics.  MK explained how sensitive Storm’s nose is and reminded students to be especially careful during hunting season in Montana to remove hunting rifles and ammunition from their cars when parked on school grounds.

Before the assembly, Storm and MK made their rounds in the halls at Park High to ensure a safe environment free of drugs and alcohol.  The following evening, Kendall and Storm were available to demonstrate canine detection and answer parent questions at the Ranger Road Trip open house from 4:45 to 8 p.m.

Beth Kendall of Interquest Detection Canine holds up a sample scented with illicit drugs to place in a student’s cowboy boot during a schoolwide assembly September 14. Storm, her canine companion, promptly found the sample in the boot. (Aidan Higgins)
Storm sticks her nose into a student’s cowboy boot where a sample scented with drugs has been hidden by her handler, Beth Kendall. (Aidan Higgins)