Hahn considers next moves as he finishes administration degree

Cole Bartz
Coach Hahn takes on the challenge of a new administrative role while subbing for vice principal Becky Ayler last week.

Park High strength and conditioning coach Ben Hahn is tackling new challenges.  He is currently going through graduate school at Montana State University and is in a program to hopefully become a licensed administrator this spring.   To complete this program, he must log administrative hours to practice before he receives his license.  For the past week and a half, he has been filling in for Principal Lori Dust who was visiting family.  

Hahn will finish out the year as the strength and conditioning teacher but will look for an opportunity to take on an administrative role in the following years.  He looks to step away from the strength and conditioning classes in order to try and grow and challenge himself in a new way. “I enjoy new challenges, new opportunities, and growth.” Said Hahn. 

Part of the reason for the change was Hahn felt the repetitiveness of the weight room was limiting his growth and that his new role would not only help him grow but he wanted to help coach at the administrative level. “I think I can help, just like I was coaching wrestling or athletes in the weight room I can kind of coach at a higher level now. I can now help teachers become better teachers and help our sports coaches continue to do great things.” Said Hahn 

Hahn has resigned from the Park High wrestling coach position but feels the program is in a great place. “If there was ever a time to step down and let somebody else take over now is the time,” says Hahn. Hahn felt with his new responsibilities it would be too much to continue as the wrestling coach.  

Hahn’s role change will affect many, as just in his short absence students have noticed the weight room and gym has felt quite different. “I feel that the weight room isn’t being taken as seriously and is missing somebody constantly pushing us to get better,” says Kimball Smith a Senior at Park High. For the last week and a half, it has been a substitute teacher, but Hahn is sure the permanent replacement will be able to take the program to the next level. But still, Kimball Smith thinks Hahn’s absence is a major loss for the weight room, but he understands and appreciates Hahn’s desire to change roles.