The Student News Site of Park High School - MT

The Geyser

The Geyser

The Geyser

Livingston ranchers explain their daily lives

Grady Shifley
Grady Shifley, a rancher at Park High, loads a whole truck load of hay by himself while working.

Ranching and living in the agricultural world is a tough job to do when you work hard long hours every day. Every day some things can change your whole day and that could be the weather, mechanical problems, or any other problems in the real world.
Grady Shifley, a junior at Park High, lives on a farm located in Paradise Valley called Montana Hay and Grain. In his early life Grady was born into farming because his family was into it, and he prefers farming over any other occupation, said Shifley. He was motivated by farming because he grew up in it and it was something he needed to do. Over the years, the farm has evolved by having more land, more tractors and equipment, overall, just bigger in general. They farm and hay about 5100 acres altogether.
“Challenges that I have encountered are the weather conditions such as the dryness, hail, snow, rain for harvesting. Farming is picky, Shifley said. He said, “all they can do is hope for a better crop the next year or do really well the previous year.” Notable achievements or milestones are swapping wheel lines out for pivots for better and more efficient irrigation. Another milestone was farming more ground faster with better and newer equipment.
The farming operation impacting the local community is that they sell hay cheaper than what other people sell it for. Hazel’s Honey is also located on their farm as well and the programs they are involved in are Missionaries to Mexico, says Shifley. His farm gets passed down from generation to generation. Shifley replied, “Fathers teach sons,” and explained that Faith drives his passion for farming. A quote that encapsulates his dedication to farming and the agricultural industry is, “Without farms, this great country would not function,” Shifley said.
Koyle Malone, a junior at Park High, is part owner of a ranch located in Pray called 3 Peaks Cattle Company. Koyle was interested in ranching because he was born into it, and it stuck to him. “I was motivated into ranching by keeping it in the family and I love working on the ranch,” he said. “The ranch has evolved over the years by growing as a whole operation,” said Malone.
Achievements made are producing good horses and raising a good cow herd. 3 Peaks Cattle Company has impacted the local community by donating to the Producer Partnership and helping the range lands and the environment. They preserve and pass down legacies to the next generation by getting the younger generation involved at a young age.
Malone said, “a memorable moment as a rancher is being involved in all the brandings and helping others when they need it.” What drives his passion for ranching is, “actually doing something, being outside, creating something, and actually knowing that your work is worth something.” A quote from Koyle that dedicates to his life as a rancher is “Ranch hard, be happy.”