Dispelling the rumors as the snowflakes fly

A yardstick in the courtyard measures how much snow has fallen as of Tuesday afternoon.

The only thing flying faster than the snowflakes are the rumors.  Among staff and students who braved the conditions and came to school today, a flurry of rumors circulated about the weather and why we should or should not have a snow day.  As student journalists, the staff of the Geyser would like to dispel some of these falsehoods and get accurate information out to our readers.

What we’ve heard-This storm is going to drop six feet of snow by Friday, March 1.

What we found- We measured the snowfall in the Park High courtyard at 1 PM Tuesday.  23 inches of snow have fallen at Park High.  Online, we were unable to find any valid data for total snowfall in this storm.  There were certainly no indications that six feet of snow will fall.  Maybe in the mountains?

What we’ve heardBozeman Schools were closed due to the weather today.

What we found- According to the Bozeman School District’s official website, school is in session today and buses are running.

What we’ve heard The weather was so bad today that Superintendent Don Viegut couldn’t get to work from his home in the valley.

What we found- Dr. Viegut is at work in the administration office today.

What we’ve heard- Almost everyone stayed home today because of the weather.  There is barely anyone at school.

What we found- According to substitute attendance secretary Laurie Cox (Melissa Cahoon is snowed in), 23% of the Park High student body is absent from school today, Feb. 26.

What we’ve heardLivingston hasn’t had a snow day in 30 years.

What we found- This is probably true!  Several of the teachers who went to school here recall that the last time they had a snow day was when they were in elementary school, some 30 years ago.

What we’ve heard- Butte and Anaconda declared a snow day today.

What we found- They did cancel classes today. For the first time in 20 years.

What we’ve heard- Belgrade has a half day today due to the snowfall.

What we found- Belgrade was never informed that they would have a half day on Feb 26th.

After a social media campaign to declare their own snow day was started by a few seniors Monday night around 7 p.m., many Park High students chose to stay home Tuesday.  Here’s what those who chose to come to school had to say about this self-declared holiday.

“I wish I had a snow day,” said Jonathan Ash.

“I’m too short, and I can hardly walk in this snow!” said Maya Bergdoll.

“I think it’s up to the district to decide.  From a teacher perspective it throws everything off not having a bunch of the students in class,” said social studies teacher Bryan Beitel.

“I think it’s a whole bunch of preppy kids complaining about a little snow,” said sophomore Jack Miller.

“I think it’s ridiculous,” said student council president, senior Gabe Nohl.

“I think it’s funny how a lot of the kids who missed don’t even live out of town,” said Madie Clarke.