The Student News Site of Park High School - MT

The Geyser

The Geyser

The Geyser

Seniors choose National Guard after graduation

College, working, or a gap year are all common choices after highschool, but senior Phoenix Pfohl is taking a completely different route. Pfohl is joining the National Guard, going through the military to pay for her college. She wants to become a lawyer once finished with schooling and the military. Pfohl is going to AIT or advanced individual training this summer for military prep. Pfohl is becoming an Automated logistics specialist where she will oversee and manage warehouse productions.
“I am excited to learn new things and take a lot of life skills away from it, but I’m also nervous about dying,” Pfohl laughed. Pfohl worries she might be treated differently because she is a female. “Women can do it better,” said Pfohl. Only 20% of those in the National Guard are women, so Pfohl is prepared to prove herself.

Senior Isabel Fool Bear also plans to join the military, serving in the National Guard as well. Fool Bear joined the National Guard because of her cousin, and she will be the fifth generation in her family to serve in the military. “I need to keep that going,” said Fool Bear.
Mechanics is the career that Fool Bear is pursuing, and she hopes to get a good understanding of mechanics and then become a mechanic on her own. Fool Bear has already been to two drills that are preparing her for boot camp held in Helena, Montana after graduation.
“I want to be better than the guys. I believe I can be just as strong and hard working as a guy. I hate the stereotype that women get,” she said. Foolbear had to do a three-mile march while holding a 10 pound rifle, with 15 pound backpacks, and she is already proving that she can keep up. Fool Bear is aware that when basic training comes around, she is in for a lot of work.