Basketball season is year-round for Turck sisters

Sisters+Veronica+Turck+and+Maria+Turck+%28right%29+defend+against+a+Lockwood+player+at+home+on+Feb.+10.+
Silas Hjortsberg
Sisters Veronica Turck and Maria Turck (right) defend against a Lockwood player at home on Feb. 10.

A Basketball Family
Basketball season starts in November and ends in February, but for sisters Veronica and Maria Turck, it extends far beyond that. They both got into basketball when their dad signed them up at a young age and they have played ever since. Maria and Veronica both started playing for the Miles City team and just last year moved to Livingston where they started playing for the Park High varsity basketball team. It has been an adjustment because the teams practice and play differently, but they have both made a big difference on the court. The Turck sisters led the Rangers in scoring with nearly 20 points per game between the two of them, with Maria averaging 10.5 and Veronica with 9.4.
The Sharp Shooter
Veronica is a three-pointer master. She attempted 137 and made 28% of them, which is the highest on the team. She says that her tips for people wanting to be better at their sport are hard work and practice outside of the season and the team’s designated practice time. She also goes to summer basketball camps and attributes some of her success to skill and a natural gift. One of Veronica’s memories is winning the Championship Game in eighth grade. As far as playing with her sister goes, Veronica says, “it’s good sometimes but other times we argue with each other in the middle of the game or blame each other for things.” Her favorite basketball player is Stephen Curry, who is also good at making three pointers.
The Playmaker
Maria sees her role on the team as being a leader and striving to make her teammates better. She says that playing with her sister is “sometimes annoying”, but she enjoys it most of the time and finds it cool to become friends with upperclassmen girls since she is only a freshman. Maria said, “I practice with a personal trainer and practice all year round and go to tournaments and camps.” This is how she got so good at such a young age. She puts in a lot of practice time. On the court Maria assists Veronica in making three pointers but she also makes a lot of her own points. She has a lot of passion going into each game. Her favorite basketball player is Jimmy Butler because he plays like her.
A Basketball Future
Veronica doesn’t know if she is going to pursue basketball outside of high school, but she has been offered a few scholarships for it. Maria wants to continue playing basketball outside of high school and hopes to make it as far as the WNBA. She is only a freshman so still has three years left of her high school career.