The Student News Site of Park High School - MT

The Geyser

The Geyser

The Geyser

Low Tide: Area Ski Resorts Lack Snow

Snowfall this year hasn’t been nearly up to par with the amount of snow last year. The closest resort to Livingston, Bridger Bowl, has a base depth of 15 inches according to the Bridger Bowl Database on Jan.4. Last year’s base depth for the same day was 37 inches.

Although Bridger Bowl’s opening wasn’t delayed, for the first weekend they only had a limited opening, running just the Sunnyside lift and Sundog magic carpet. The option to hike up terrain was available as well.

Resorts around Bridger Bowl also have struggled with snow fall. Big Sky’s base varies around the mountain but on average is around 20 inches. Showdown, located near Great Falls and White Sulphur Springs, postponed their opening for two weeks. Many others have opened but with limited lifts running. 

Park High students that partake in snow sports activities struggle with the low snowfall.  Junior Sam Wadle says, “It sucks there’s no snow, but I skied at Winter Park and they had so much more snow.” 

Talking to sophomore Phoebe Alverson about the low snowfall, she states, “I’m pretty sad about the lack of snow this year, but as long as I’m skiing I can make due. I recently took a trip to Whitefish which had decent snow. I skied every day.”

With hope that more snow is to come, students are prepared to hit the slopes.