Robot Assembly

James Melin
Hunter Lloyd displays the cheap and simple electronics that make up his Snooze Doll alarm clock (left background)

Nobody at Park High expected to watch a small robot perform the “YMCA” dance in the main gym on November 28, but that’s exactly what Hunter Lloyd’s Looney robot did during a special presentation on his personal experience in robotics and a brief intro to MSU’s robotics program. Lloyd, an MSU Professor of Robotics and Game Design at the Gianforte School of Computing, is passionate about using his resources solving issues, teaching, and performing standup comedy.
Lloyd began the presentation by sharing his backstory, including dropping out of college for accounting and his pursuit of a career in comedy. He then shared the story of his introduction to robotics, his Snooze Ball and Snooze Doll alarm clock inventions and how his Snooze Doll landed on “The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon”. Lloyd then shared about his robotics classes and the many robotics competitions he and his students attend, including World Competitions. Lloyd also noted that students from Montana are among the best robotic engineers in the world, and regularly finish at or near the top in the competition.
Lloyd then spoke about the Game Design class he teaches, and he showed off an example of what exactly his classes do, by “modernizing” Donkey Kong. He then brought out two of his humanoid robots, Looney and Ocean, who each performed basic monologues and dialogues, both serious and comedic. Lloyd then closed out the presentation by showing off Looney’s dance moves.
Lloyd’s true passion is comedy, and he has performed across the country, including opening for Jerry Seinfeld. He regularly performs at the Last Best Comedy Club in Bozeman. He can be found on TikTok at @hunterlloydcomedy.