Waiting for wheels

For many high school students, a new set of wheels and a shiny new license is one of the most anticipated things to get. However, there are a few people who don’t get their driver’s licenses until their last year of high school or even after they graduate. With the average age to get one in Montana at 16, which is one of the lowest ages in the country, Montanans encourage getting a license at a young age.

Park High graduate Lincoln Jeffery, he didn’t get his driver’s license until right after he graduated high school. Jeffery’s family’s main form of transportation is bikes, so he didn’t need his license due to riding bikes everywhere. He also didn’t want to take drivers ed because it takes up too much time in the summer. Jeffery said he had his permit in high school so he could drive around with his parents in the car with him. However, for Jeffrey, it gave him the ability to go around and help others, which is one of the reasons he got his license by giving them rides to different places and he’s able to go to their houses to help them if they need it.

Park High Junior Liam Gravley also doesn’t have his driver’s license. He says he has other ways of getting around such as skating and getting rides from his friends and family. Due to how small our town of Livingston Montana is, it is easy to get around without a car. It is, however, easier and faster to get places with a car, so Gravley is looking to get his driver’s license early next year.

Having different forms of traveling around isn’t the only reason high schoolers don’t get their drivers licenses. Like for Park High Senior, Joshua Morrick. He was unable to get his driver’s license due to  personal reasons and home problems. However, he does have his permit now and is able to drive with an adult in the car with him.