Local guide reels in celebrities and politicians

Guide Charlie Conn catches big Taimen fish in the rivers of Mongolia.

In the world of fly fishing, where the rush of water and the pursuit of exciting catches take control, one name stands out: Charlie Conn, the mastermind behind Superfly Guide Service. Conn came to Montana after completing his Bachelors degree at Gustavus Adolphus College in Minnesota. He began working at Dan Bailey Fly shop in downtown Livingston, where he got introduced to the art of fish guiding. Conn later created his own guide business, Superfly Guide Service.
Beyond the standard limits of a fishing guide business, Superfly has become a place where celebrities and political figures can have some fun. Some of Conn’s clients are people of the entertainment industry. Musicians Chris Shiflet and Nate Mendels in the band Foo Fighters have fished under Conn’s direction. Country musician Luke Bryan also joined the ranks of those seeking to go fishing in Montana.
Superfly Guide Service isn’t just a magnet for musical talent. He has hosted political luminaries, including Rahm Emanuel, the Ambassador of Japan, and the former Prime Minister of Mongolia, Sanjaagiin Bayar. The confluence of politics and fly fishing on Superfly’s expeditions adds a unique dimension to the experiences offered by Conn.
Usually, clients like these find Conn through mutual contacts. Looking back on these high-profile encounters, Conn says, “I always learn a lot with those types of guys.” His works show that Superfly isn’t just a service, it’s a learning place where different people come out of their shell, connected by fishing. “I wouldn’t get to spend a day with these people if I wasn’t a fishing guide,” says Conn, talking about the cool opportunities his job comes with.
Beyond trying to catch fish, Superfly Guide Service has become a place of shared thoughts, creating connections though fishing. In the world of Charlie Conn and Superfly Guide Service, the casting of lines becomes a universal language, transcending backgrounds and professions. It’s more than just a business; it’s a stage where celebrities, politicians, and everyday enthusiasts harmonize in the pursuit of both tranquility and the thrill of the catch. Each guided trip becomes a chapter in the ongoing story of Superfly.