The Student News Site of Park High School - MT

The Geyser

The Geyser

The Geyser

New coach looks to build on last year’s success

When most people think of a winter high school sport, the first thing that comes to mind is basketball.   However, the wrestling team here at Park High should not be overlooked, especially with all of their recent success. 2023 graduates Danyk Jacobsen and Jessica Gubler both had state titles to their name and to say they were dominant on the mats would be an understatement.

Following a 10th place team finish and an individual champion in Jacobsen at last season’s state tournament, the Park High wrestling team is looking to continue their tradition of success with first-year head coach Linton Jett, who took over from Park High teacher Ben Hahn. Jett had previously served as an assistant coach for the wrestling team and also serves as an assistant coach for the football team.

“A lot more responsibilities,” Jett said when asked about the difference between being an assistant and head coach. “I’m just excited to see what the roster looks like this year.”

Jett is optimistic that the Ranger wrestlers can continue their winning ways this season. “I think we’re going to have a lot of success again this year. We have a lot of good wrestlers coming in, and some of the kids from Big Timber are looking really tough this year, so I think we’re going to do

Senior wrestler Tucker Shepardson expressed his confidence in Coach Jett.

“I think Jett will be a great head coach. He has a lot of experience in this program, and he really knows what he’s doing,” Shepardson said. “We’re going to have a great season with him as our coach.”