Safe driving tips for winter weather

To keep you safe this winter and obtain some knowledge about winter driving conditions here are some tips. When it comes to winter safety driving tips, one important thing is to always buckle up. Driving on snow is more challenging than when driving on dry roads. Your visibility is reduced and roads could be covered in snow, causing them to be slippery and possibly resulting in an accident. To keep you safe and have better knowledge about driving in snow, here are some tips.

Before you leave you always want to allow your car time to warm up. I would recommend starting your car 10- 20 minutes prior to leaving. If there was a lot of snow that night you’re going to want to scrape off the snow from your windshield and the top of your car. You should also know if you’re capable of driving in the snow, meaning, did you get plenty of rest and will be alert while driving. You should only leave your house if necessary to prevent accidents.

Eli Caplis, junior, has been driving in the snow for about three years. Over time, Caplis came to the conclusion that it’s best to have a truck for driving in the winter. “Trucks have more clearance, 4 wheel drive, and it is heavier than a car which could come in handy” said Caplis. Although everyone doesn’t have a truck or want one, Caplis suggests that when you feel yourself start to slide in the snow you never want to brake suddenly because your brakes would lock up. When you’re feeling yourself start to slide you also want to have a tight and steady grip on the wheel to have control of where you’re sliding. “My mind set for when I’m driving in these conditions is to just get to my destination as safe as possible” stated Caplis.

When you’re driving you want to be attentive at all times because things can go bad quickly. You should always increase your following distance, meaning, you should never follow a car closely because they could brake quickly. When you’re driving in snowy weather don’t drive to the speed limit; drive to conditions that are safe. Always leave earlier than you would if roads were dry. Rushing and being impatient could cause accidents to occur. Alissa Ruebusch, junior, just started driving in the snow this year. “When it starts to get cold I put an emergency kit in my car just in case I get stuck in the snow or my car breaks down,” said Ruebush. These preparations make her feel more ready for this year’s snow. She mentioned that when you’re turning and you feel yourself start to slide you want to turn your front wheels in the direction the back wheels are sliding. This helps you have better control of your skidding.” “Always have your hands on the wheel and keep your eyes on the road at all times,” Ruebusch mentioned.

You should never be on your phone or messing around while driving in the snow or even on clear roads just to be safe. To be safe you can get your car/ truck serviced for winter conditions, switch to snow tires, install winter wipers, and always have plenty of gas in your car. You should also check your tire pressure and headlights. It’s best to be prepared for the winter roads to stay safe.