Student Council moves formal to February 17th

Erika
Student Body President, William Tyner, leads a council meeting discussion on upcoming events.

Recently there has been a lot of talk on why Winter Formal is being moved and when it is going to take place. In years past Winter Formal was sponsored by a group at Park High known as “TNT”; however, over the last few years the previous club administrator retired and the group more or less “died off”.The task of planning Winter Formal was then handed to Michelle Carter (former food service director), but since her retirement last year the student council was given the responsibility of planning formal.

Student council originally had assumed the date to be November 11th, which is around the same time formal has been the last two years. This date ended up not working due to the class A state volleyball tournament that weekend. “We are the closest class A school to Bozeman, and with that we have become the honorary host of class A volleyball whether our team makes it or not”, activities director Nate Parseghian stated.

Throughout the months of holiday season (December and January) there are also a lot of conflicting events such as basketball starting, Thanksgiving, wrestling and on top of that administration needs to also be available and present for formal to take place.

Another point that was brought up is that if formal were to take place in November it wouldn’t go with the theme of “winter formal” because it’s not “snowy or wintery” outside. Many people have also shared that they think having formal in February is strange due to prom generally being held only two months away in April. This may just seem unusual for underclassmen since most seniors or juniors this year went to formal two years ago when it was also held in February.

“In the 2021-2022 school year formal was also held in February”, Mr. Par says. With this, Winter Formal is being planned to take place February 17.