Chase Vermillion sets precedence for future Park High Girls basketball players

Sophomore completed the 10,000 shot club in preparation for the upcoming season
Griffin Conn
Sophomore Chase Vermillion pauses during her shot follow-through at basketball practice, Tuesday.

“I just wanted to set a goal for myself, so I’d stay motivated and so I could be better for the season,” Chase Vermillion said, explaining why she decided to participate in the Park High School Lady Ranger basketball 10,000 Shot club. The 10,000-shot club is a challenge for all players to complete and document 10,000 shots at any given location within the span of a 5-month period, from June 1st to the 1st day of the season in November. Vermillion said it took her “from July to November” to complete the challenge. She was in the gym every day she could be, and for completing the challenge, Vermillion will receive a t-shirt and printed certificate given by the head coach of the Lady Rangers program Megan Burns. 

Head coach Burns says, “Being a good shooter comes down to repetition and practice.”

For Vermillion that is certainly true. Last year as a freshman she played C squad, and this upcoming season as a sophomore Vermillion will be full varsity.

So far Vermillion is the only one to complete the challenge in the Girl’s basketball program history. Still, Coach Burns and Vermillion hope to see more participation in the upcoming time slot. Many bigger organizations nationwide use the same or similar things to the 10,000-shot club to encourage players to take initiative over their shooting improvement. Many AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) travel teams require their players to at least participate in the challenge in order to play for the team. The 10,000-shot club helps players improve not only by shooting but also by pushing themselves to be motivated.

As the season kicks off December 5 against Big Timber at home, Vermillion will be down playing in the post showing off all her hard work.