Coach Lane is Back!!

Gone from the classroom, but back to the court
Addyson Norquist
Park High Varsity girls volleyball huddle up after tournament in Lewistown.

Joey Lane, Park High Volleyball coach, returns this fall for her 16th year as head coach of the Lady Rangers. The retired social studies teacher started playing volleyball in high school and then turned to coaching after graduating from high school. 

Coach Lane said her goal for the team this season is to become “students of the game and really understand how the game works.” This means that she wants everyone to understand the game and be able to anticipate what is going to happen. Lane wants everyone to know how to read a serve or read a hitter’s hand.

Junior middle hitter, Mackenna O’Dea says, “Coach Lane is putting in the effort to make us a better team.” O’Dea appreciates the commitment that she has to the team and sport. O’Dea thinks that the volleyball team has a chance to go far with Coach Lane on the sidelines. 

High expectations for the team are key ways Lane uses to improve. She considers herself a very caring but loud coach. Quinci Wood, junior setter, says, “Mrs. Lane is very tough on us but pushes us to be our best selves.”

Good relationships with her players are things that Coach Lane cherishes. Gina Williams, a past outside hitter for Park High, was asked how she still remembered Coach Lane, and she replied, “How could I forget her?”

These relationships are the most rewarding part of being a coach, Lane said. Ashley Strupp, senior middle hitter, mentioned, “Coach Lane has consistency with how she corrects you and really knows what she’s talking about.”

The “best experience” for every girl on the team is what Coach Lane wants. She wants them to be taking something away from every practice and game. More importantly, Lane wants the players to be glad that they went out for volleyball.